Famous Explorers - Quiz Qustions and Answers
- Which French explorer of the 18th Century had an island, a strait, and a climbing plant named after him?
- Who organized and led the Kon-Tiki expedition in 1947?
- Who first sailed around the tip of South America and had the straits named after him?
- (a) When did Ronald Amundsen reach the South Pole?
(b) Who was the first man to reach the North Pole?
- New Zealand’s highest peak is named after an explorer. What is his name?
- Who was the man who first explored the great river system of Australia and named the Darling River?
- Which explorer made his most famous voyage in the "Santa Maria"?
- Who Explored Africa from Lake Victoria down the River Congo to the sea?
- (a) Who was Ibn Battuta?
(b) Who was Fahien?
- Who led the first successful Trans-Antarctic expedition in 1958?
- Name the first man on the Moon.
- Who was the first mane to fly Solo over the Atlantic?
- Which Portuguese navigator rounded the Cape of Good Hope and discovered the sea route to India in 1498?
- Which country did Alexander Mackenzie explore towards the end of the 18th Century?
- What was the name of the explorer and soldier who captured Mexico for Spain?
- Which Scots missionary explored Africa during the 19th Century?
- By who was New Zealand discovered?
- Which English explorer gave his name to a river, a strait, and a bay in North America?
- (a) Who discovered Greenland?
(b) Who was the first explorer of the Sahara desert?
- Which pirate was also an explorer?
- Louis Bougainvillea
- Thor Heyerdahl
- Ferdinand Magellan
- (a) In 1911
(b) Robert Peary
- Captain James Cook
- Captain Sturt
- Christopher Columbus
- H.M. Stanley
- (a) A Moroccan scholar who between 1325 and 1354, traveled throughout the Muslim world and beyond its bounds
(b) A Buddhist pilgrim from China who came to India during the reign of Chandragupta Vikramaditya.
- Vivian Fuchs
- Neil Armstrong
- Charles Lindberg
- David Livingstone
- Abel Tasman
- Henry Hudson
- (a) Eric the Red in 986
(b) Hugh Clapperton in 1822
- William Dampier