Fun Facts About Dogs
These are just meant to be for fun! We cannot verify the authenticity of these facts.
- Greyhounds can run up to 45 miles an hour for very short periods.
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats about 30.
- Dogs and humans are the only animals with prostates.
- The dalmatian dog originate from Dalmatian coast of Croatia.
- According to tests made at the Institute for the Study of Animal Problems in Washington, D.C., dogs and cats, like people, are either right-handed or left-handed i.e. they favor either their right or left paws.
- Domesticated cats are never mentioned in the Bible. Dogs are mentioned 14 times, lions 55 times.
- The common belief that dogs are color blind is false. Dogs can see color but it is not as vivid a color scheme as we see. It is much like our vision at twilight.
- There are 701 types of pure breed dogs.
- The flea can jump 350 times its body length, that is like a human jumping the length of a football field.Anything over 45 minutes seems like forever to your dog. You will be greeted as enthusiastically coming back from a two-hour shopping trip as you will coming back from a two-day vacation.
- A stray dog who is afraid of people will trust the people associated with the dogs it plays with.
- The old rule "multiplying a dog’s age by 7 to find the equivalent human age" is fallacious. A dog is able to reproduce at 1 year and has reached full growth by 2 years. To calculate a dog’s age in human terms, count the first year at 15, the second year as 10, and each year after that as 5.
- If a dog tolerates gentle handling between its toes, it probably is suited for children.
- If two dogs are headed for a fight and they appear about evenly matched, the dog on his home turf will win easily.
- If you want to be friends with somebody else’s dog, let the dog make the first move, and don’t be too quick to respond.
- A kennel should be two times the length of the dog you are building it for. Measure the dog from its nose to the tip of its tail.
- The best time for taking a puppy from its litter -- psychologically and physically - is when it is 49 days old.