Basketball Quiz Questions with Answers
1. Who invented the game of Basketball?
Answer: Dr. James Naismith;
2. When and where was it first played?
Answer: In 1891 at Springfield College, Massachusetts, U.S.A.;
3. What is the circumference and the weight of the ball?
Answer: 30 inches, 20-22 oz.;
4. What are the measurement of the court?
Answer: 94x50 feet;
5. What area is called the "key"?
Answer: The 6-foot semi-circle used for free throws;
6. How high from the ground is the ring of the basket?
Answer: 10 feet;
7. How many players does a basketball team consist of and how many can play at a time?
Answer: 10, 5;
8. In International competitions how are the vests numbered?
Answer: 4 to 15;
9. How does the game begin?
Answer: By "Jump Ball" - the referee tossing up the ball in the centre circle;
10. Which ancient South American game played in the Yucatan peninsula is somewhat similar to basketball?
Answer: Pok- tapok;
11. Which Mexican sixteenth century sport similar to basketball allowed the successful player to claim the clothing of all the spectators?
12. How many points are awarded for a basket?
13. When was FIBA (International Amateur Basketball Federation) formed?
14. When was Basketball included in the Olympics and who won?
Answer: 1936, U.S.A.;
15. When was women’s Basketball included as an Olympic event and who won?
Answer: 1976, U.S.S.R.;
16. When was the Men’s World Championship first held and who won?
Answer: 1950, Argentina;
17. And when was the Women’s World championship first held and who won?
Answer: 1953, U.S.A.;
18. When and where were the Nationals first held?
Answer: 1934, Delhi;
19. What trophy is awarded to the winners of the National (Men’s) Championship?
Answer: Edward William Todd Memorial Cup;
20. What trophy is awarded to the winners of the National (Women’s) Championship?
Answer: Basalat Jab Trophy;
21. Since when have the Nationals become an annual affair?
Answer: 1951, earlier these used to be biennial;
22. When was the Junior National Championship started?
23. When did India achieve its first success in International Basketball?
Answer: 1962 (Lahore), Quadrangular League Tournament;
24. Name the most famous professional basketball team?
Answer: Harlem Globetrotters;
25. When did the I.B.F. propose a rule banning players taller than 6 feet 3 inches?
Answer: 1936 Olympics, it was later withdrawn;
26. The 1936 Olympics was held outdoors on clay and sand courts. True and False?
27. The U.S.A. had a 63-game winning streak in Basketball in Olympics. When did it end?
Answer: 1972, Munich;
28. Who opposed the U.S.A. in the 1936 final and what was the score?
Answer: Canada, 19-8;
29. Which country lost two successive match in the 1948 Olympics by 100 points?
Answer: Iraq (20-120 to Korea and 25-125 to China);
30. Which country has won most Olympic title (Men) and how many?
Answer: U.S.A., 9;
31. What is the record of the highest score in an international match?
Answer: 251-33, Iraq beat Yemen, New Delhi, 1982;
32. Who is the tallest player to have played international Basketball?
Answer: Suleiman Ali Nashnush (Libya), 8 feet;
33. And the tallest international basketball player amongst women?
Answer: Iuliana Semenova (U.S.S.R.), 7 ft 2 in.;
34. Besides the U.S.A. which other countries have won the Olympics gold in Men’s Basketball?
Answer: U.S.S.R. (1972 and 1988) and Yugoslavia (1980);
35. And in women’s, which countries have won the gold?
Answer: U.S.S.R., 1976 and 1980, and U.S.A., 1984, 1988;
36. What is maximum attendance ever for a Basketball game?
Answer: 75,000 at the Olympic Stadium, Berlin, in 1951 in an exhibition match featuring Harlem Globetrotters;
37. Who has played the most Games in his lifetime?
Answer: Karim Abdul Jabbar (U.S.A.), 1486;
38. And who has scored the most field goals?
Answer: K.A. Jabbar (formerly Lew Alcindor);
39. When was Women’s Basketball included in the Asian Games? Who won?
Answer: 1974, Japan;
40. Which country won the Men’s title in four successive Asiads?
Answer: Philippines (1951 to 1962).