Skip to Content

Amazing Facts About Cats - 25 Interesting Facts About Cats

Here is a collection of amazing facts about cats.

Amazing Facts About Cats

  1. The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a pattern that is unique, just like the fingerprint of a human.
  2. Cats have 290 bones and 517 muscles in their body.
  3. Cats are born with blue eyes. They change at approximately 12 weeks of age.
  4. During her productive life, one female cat could have more than 100 kittens.
  5. The biggest breed of domesticated cats are called a Maine Coon cat and weighs up to 11 kg.
  6. Purring doesn’t necessarily mean a cat is happy. Sometimes cats will purr when they are scared or hurt.
  7. A cat’s IQ is only surpassed by that of monkeys and chimps in the world of animals.
  8. Cat’s sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours. This means they can smell the odour in the litter box much earlier than us.
  9. Cats have 30 permanent teeth, while adult humans have 32.
  10. Killing a cat was punishable by death in acient Egypt.
  11. There are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world, with 33 different breeds.
  12. The average age for an indoor cat is 15 years, while the average age for an outdoor cat is only 3 to 5 years.
  13. A cat uses it’s whiskers to tell if the space they are contemplating entering is big enough for them.
  14. Cat urine glows in the dark if a black light is shined on it. This is a good way to detect cat urine in your home.
  15. A cat’s hearing is much stronger and more sensitive than a dog’s or a human’s. Our hearing stops at 20 khz; a cat’s at 65 khz.
  16. Cats often have a third eyelid that is not normally visible to us. If you are seeing it more often – the cat may be.
  17. A cat’s heart beats twice as fast as a human heart, at 110 to 140 beats per minute.
  18. Cats are partially color blind. They have the equivalency of human red/green color blindness. (Reds appear green and greens appear red; or shades thereof.)
  19. Cats don’t see detail very well. The person may appear hazy when standing in front of them.
  1. Cats can jump between 5 & 7 times as high as their tail.
  2. Only about 80% of cats have the gene that allows them to respond to the effects of catnip. The other 20% are not affected by it.
  3. Your cat loves you and can read your moods. If you’re sad or under stress, you may also notice a difference in your cat’s behavior.
  4. Cats are the sleepiest of all mammals. They spend 16 hours of each day sleeping. With that in mind, a seven year old cat has only been awake for two years of its life!
  5. Sometimes your cat will find it difficult to find the treats you throw him on the floor. The reason is because cats can’t see directly under their own nose.
  6. A cat will almost never meow at another cat. This sound is reserved for humans.

Powered by PHPKB Knowledge Base Software