Amazing Facts About Cats - 25 Interesting Facts About Cats
Here is a collection of amazing facts about cats.
Amazing Facts About Cats
- The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a pattern that is unique, just like the fingerprint of a human.
- Cats have 290 bones and 517 muscles in their body.
- Cats are born with blue eyes. They change at approximately 12 weeks of age.
- During her productive life, one female cat could have more than 100 kittens.
- The biggest breed of domesticated cats are called a Maine Coon cat and weighs up to 11 kg.
- Purring doesn’t necessarily mean a cat is happy. Sometimes cats will purr when they are scared or hurt.
- A cat’s IQ is only surpassed by that of monkeys and chimps in the world of animals.
- Cat’s sense of smell is 14 times stronger than ours. This means they can smell the odour in the litter box much earlier than us.
- Cats have 30 permanent teeth, while adult humans have 32.
- Killing a cat was punishable by death in acient Egypt.
- There are more than 500 million domestic cats in the world, with 33 different breeds.
- The average age for an indoor cat is 15 years, while the average age for an outdoor cat is only 3 to 5 years.
- A cat uses it’s whiskers to tell if the space they are contemplating entering is big enough for them.
- Cat urine glows in the dark if a black light is shined on it. This is a good way to detect cat urine in your home.
- A cat’s hearing is much stronger and more sensitive than a dog’s or a human’s. Our hearing stops at 20 khz; a cat’s at 65 khz.
- Cats often have a third eyelid that is not normally visible to us. If you are seeing it more often – the cat may be.
- A cat’s heart beats twice as fast as a human heart, at 110 to 140 beats per minute.
- Cats are partially color blind. They have the equivalency of human red/green color blindness. (Reds appear green and greens appear red; or shades thereof.)
- Cats don’t see detail very well. The person may appear hazy when standing in front of them.
- Cats can jump between 5 & 7 times as high as their tail.
- Only about 80% of cats have the gene that allows them to respond to the effects of catnip. The other 20% are not affected by it.
- Your cat loves you and can read your moods. If you’re sad or under stress, you may also notice a difference in your cat’s behavior.
- Cats are the sleepiest of all mammals. They spend 16 hours of each day sleeping. With that in mind, a seven year old cat has only been awake for two years of its life!
- Sometimes your cat will find it difficult to find the treats you throw him on the floor. The reason is because cats can’t see directly under their own nose.
- A cat will almost never meow at another cat. This sound is reserved for humans.
Article ID: 976
Created: Wed, Nov 3, 2010
Last Updated: Wed, Nov 3, 2010
Online URL: https://www.knowledgepublisher.com/article/976/amazing-facts-about-cats-25-interesting-facts-about-cats.html