Football Quiz Questions and Answers - Part 3
59. When was football included in the Olympics?
Answer: 1908, London
60. Who won the Olympic gold in 1908?
61. Which country won the Olympic football title at Seoul in 1988?
Answer: U.S.S.R. (Russia)
62. Who have been twice runners-up of football at the Olympics games in 1984 and 1988?
63. Before the year 1937, a football was lighter than the one used subsequently. What is the weight difference?
Answer: Before 1937, 13-15 oz (368-425 gm). After 1937, 14-16 oz (397-454 gm)
64. Can you recall the air crash in Italy which killed all on board including the players of a champion football club? Give the year and the name of the club?
Answer: 1949, Torino, the Italian champion side
65. In 1958 another air crash killed eight top payers of a famous English football club. Which club?
Answer: Manchester United, at Munich
66. Tragedies resulting in spectator deaths are not uncommon in Football. Which was the first such tragedy which killed 25 in the U.K.
Answer: 1902, Ibrox Park, terrace collapse in a match between England and Scotland
67. Who was the first football player to play a century of International?
Answer: Billy Wright (England) played his 100th in 1959. He retired from the game after playing another 5 matches.
68. Which was the first team to do the double of winning both the League and the Cup in British Football?
Answer: Tottenham Hotspur in 1961
69. Who was the first footballer to be knighted?
Answer: Sir Stanley Matthews in 1965
70. Who was the first footballer involved in a 1 million pounds transfer?
Answer: Johan Cruyff from Ajax to Barcelona in 1973
71. When and where was the first World Youth Cup Football tournament held?
Answer: 1977, Tunisia
72. Which country won in the inaugural year of World Youth Cup Football tournament?
Answer: U.S.S.R. (Russia)
73. Where and when was the second World Youth Cup held?
Answer: 1979, Japan
74. Which country won the second World Youth Cup?
75. Which soccer tragedy resulted in the banning of the English Clubs from European competitions?
Answer: 1985 at the Heysel Stadium, Brussels, Belgium, where 39 died and 437 were injured as a result of rioting by supporters of Liverpool in the European Cup Final between Liverpool and Juventus.
76. In the mid-thirties Mohammedan Sporting won the Calcutta League 5 time in row. Which club bettered this record in 1970-76?
Answer: East Bengal
77. Gostho Pal was the captain of which club in Calcutta?
Answer: Mohun Bagan
78. Who captained Mohun Bagan when they won the I.F.A. Shield for the first time in 1911?
Answer: S. Bhaduri
79. Which Asian Games saw India win the Football Gold?
Answer: 1951 in New Delhi and 1962 in Jakarta
80. When did India first participate in Olympic Football?
Answer: 1948, London
81. What was India’s best standing in Olympic Football?
Answer: 4th at Melbourne in 1956
82. Who was the first recipient of the Arjuna award for Football?
Answer: P.K. Banerjee in 1961
83. Who was the first footballer to get the Padma Shri?
Answer: Gostho Bihari Pal in 1962
84. When was the Asia Cup Football started?
85. What is its frequency, i.e., at what intervals is it held?
Answer: 4 years
86. Which Football tournament in India is the second oldest Football tournament in the world - next only to the F.A. Cup?
Answer: Durand Cup held at Delhi
87. Twice during the Asian Games Football Championships, the final having ended in goal-less draw, the two finalists were declared joint winners. When? Name the countries?
Answer: 1970, Burma and Korea; 1978, South Korea and North Korea