General Awareness Questions & Answers (Part 3)
This is 3rd part in the series of General Awareness questions and answers for various competitive exams such as CAT & Bank PO exams. We have divided this collection of general awareness questions in a series of 5 articles. Each article has a list of 40 general awareness questions along with their answers. This is the 3rd part of the series. You can refer to the links of other parts at the end of this article.
General Awareness Questions for Competitive Exams (Part 3)
This is the third part of the series of 40 general awareness questions and answers. Please feel free to share your suggestions about this General Awareness Quiz in the form of comments.
81. Whose ’curve’ did President Reagan use as the basis for his ’Trickle Down’ economic policy?
82. Which group of people have been involved in the terrorist activities and rampant killing spree after the death of King Birendra in Nepal?
(a) The Gurkhas
(b) The Maoists
(c) The Khukris
(d) The Awomi clan
83. This company is the first to develop a new handheld computer series featuring a combination of Intel components and Microsoft software?
84. Which of the following companies was forced to shutdown its digital music service because of music industry lawsuits for piracy?
85. Who was sued recently by BIAX for infringement of computer patents?
86. Which country is the largest producer of natural rubber in the world?
87. With which of the following companies has the Department of Posts and Telegraph of India tied up to provide a comprehensive range of financial services?
(a) LIC of India
(b) Corporation Bank
(c) Master Card International
(d) Visa International
88. Which cable network is to be the sole provider of sports information to MSN?
(a) STAR Sports
(d) Channel 9
89. Who is the current Defense Secretary of the United States of America?
(a) Donald Rumsfeld
(b) Colin Powell
(c) Mr. Ashcroft
(d) Dick Cheney
90. Which are the countries that are slated to host the 2002 Soccer World Cup?
(a) Japan and Thailand
(b) Mexico and Brazil
(c) Germany and Poland
(d) Japan and S.Korea
91. Which antibiotic can cure Anthrax, if detected at an early stage?
92. The farmers of which country were involved in violent protests against falling rice prices and US-led globalization as symbolized by WTO?
(d) South Korea
93. Which of the following chemicals has been recently allowed by the Government of India to be mixed with petrol?
94. Who is the present men’s champion of US Open?
(a) Pete Sampras
(b) Lleyton Hewitt
(c) Andre Agassi
(d) Patrick Rafter
95. Which is the longest running stage play in the world?
(a) The Cats
(b) The Mouse Trap
(c) Three Blind Mice
(d) Romeo and Juliet
96. "Be the first to know" is the baseline of which company?
(b) STAR News
97. Which advertising agency took over the agency ’Saatchi and Saatchi’ last year to become one of the largest advertising firms in the world?
(a) Euro RSCG
(c) Young and Rubicam
98. India’s first private FM radio station Radio City opened in Bangalore recently. Which company is the promoter behind this venture?
(a) The Times of India
(c) Star India
99. Which bathing soap advertises with the baseline, ’For total skincare since 1918’ in India?
(b) Mysore Sandal
100. The New York Mayor ’Rudolph Guiliani’ rejected a $10 mn donation offered by this billionaire prince.
(a) Prince Awaleed Bin Talal of S.Arabia
(b) Prince Ahmed Bin Tariq of S.Arabia
(c) Prince Md. Shah of Iran
(d) Prince Khaleel Mohammed of Persia
101. Which one of the following partnership in the domestic insurance sector is inCorrect?
(a) HDFC - Standard Life
(b) Birla - Sun Life
(c) Tata - Allianz
(d) Max - New York Life
102. As per the latest National Readership Survey 2001, which newspaper has become the most widely read daily in the country?
(a) Daily Thanti (Tamil)
(b) Malayala Manorama
(c) Dainik Bhaskar (Hindi)
(d) Dainik Jagran (Hindi)
103. "Everything from cancer to heart attacks. Covered for 70 paise a day," is the baseline of an advertisement by
(a) Birla Sun Life
(b) Cancer Institute WIA
(c) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
(d) OM Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance
104. Which Indian woman was recently included in the Fortune magazine’s global list of 50 most powerful women in business?
(a) Lalita Gupte
(b) Meena Venkatesh
(c) Rama Bijapurkar
(d) Tina Ambani
105. As per the recent Global Competitiveness Report from the World Economic Forum, which country replaced US as the most competitive economy in the world?
106. What is common to Bethlehem Steel, Polaroid and Swiss Air?
(a) All companies owned by GE
(b) All recently applied for bankruptcy protection
(c) Their founders committed suicide
(d) All of these companies were recently targets of successful hostile takeover
107. What famous brand name is derived from a combination of two words, which mean ’dead’ in French and ’one’ in German?
108. Which is the longest running TV cartoon in history, first launched by Warner Brothers in 1969 exclusively for television, and is now a popular fare on the Cartoon Network?
(a) Scooby Doo
(b) Tom and Jerry
(d) Johnny Bravo
109. Which company has recently launched a range of biscuits in India following its takeover of Nutrine confectionery?
(a) Hindustan Lever
(c) Parke Davis
(d) Sara Lee
110. In the latest Forbes List of wealthiest Americans, 3 out of the top 4 richest men in USA have made their wealth from one company. Which one?
(a) Standard Oil (Exxon)
(c) De Beers
(d) Berkshire Hathaway
111. Which is the third highest peak in India?
(b) Nanga Parbat
(c) Gasher Brum
112. Which is the largest airport in the world?
(a) Singapore Airport
(b) International Airport at Kaula Lumpur
(c) Heathrow at London
(d) King Khalid Airport at Saudi Arabia
113. In which year did Alexander the great die?
(a) 332 B.C
(b) 328 B.C
(c) 323 B.C
(d) 356 B.C
114. In which year did Mahatma Gandhi launch "The Dandi March"?
115. Eugenics is the study of what?
(a) the development of embryos
(b) the merits of legalizing mercy killing
(c) the production of better offspring by careful selection of parents
(d) genetical composition of plant population in relation to their habitats
116. In which year did Thomas Alva Edison invent the electric lamp?
117. What is the measure of the length of a standard tennis court?
(a) 54 ft
(b) 28 ft
(c) 84 ft
(d) 78 ft
118. Which is the first Asian country to host the Commonwealth Games?
(a) South Korea
119. Who is the president of the World Bank?
(a) Michel Camdessus
(b) John Wolfensohn
(c) Emeka Anyaoku
(d) Jose Maria Ruda
120. Who was the first Prime Minister of Great Britain?
(a) Richard Travithick
(b) Robert Walpole
(c) Sir George Cayley
(d) Robert Peary