General Awareness Questions & Answers (Part 1)
A collection of General Awareness questions and answers for various competitive exams such as CAT & Bank PO exams. We have divided this collection of general awareness questions in a series of 5 articles. Each article has a list of 40 general awareness questions along with their answers. This is the first part of the series.
General Awareness Questions for Competitive Exams (Part 1)
The list of first 40 questions and answers is given below. Please feel free to share your suggestions about this General Awareness Quiz in the form of comments below.
1. Which company's famously advertised vision statement is "The Network is the Computer"?
(a) Cisco Systems
(b) Lucent Technologies
(c) Sun Microsystems
(d) Nortel Networks
2. The software company I-flex Solutions was originally a division of which famous financial services company?
(d) ABN Amro Bank
3. Which former advertising personality has recently been named the Undersecretary of State for 'Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs' of the US in an exercise to rebrand the US following the September 11 terrorist strikes?
(a) Charlotte Beers
(b) Jay Chiat
(c) Martin Sorrell
(d) George Lois
4. Which premium international range of luggage was recently launched in India by BlowPlast?
(c) American Tourister
5. This year saw the launch of Yahoo!, Amazon.com and the famous launch of the Orange mobile phone service in the UK. Which year was this?
6. Henry Ford revolutionized the car market with the first mass- produced car, the Ford Model T. In which year was it launched?
7. Which company owns the beer brands Hayward's 2000, Hi-Five and Lal Toofan?
(a) United Breweries
(b) Millennium Alcobev
(c) Shaw Wallace
(d) Mohan Meakins
8. Which company owns the footwear brand - Stryde?
(c) Tata International
(d) Hindustan Lever
9. It was the brand that made David Ogilvy famous. Which shirt brand's ads had the famous man with an eye patch in the 1950s, which catapulted David Ogilvy to fame?
(a) Van Heusen
(b) Arrow Shirts
10. Which TV channel has been in the news for its coverage of the Bin Laden crisis, especially for having carried all broadcasts of Osama Bin Laden to audiences in West Asia?
(a) Star Asia
(b) BBC Asia
(c) Al Jazeera
(d) Khaleed Times
11. In the case of a test tube baby
(a) Fertilization takes place inside the test tube
(b) Development of the baby takes place inside the test tube
(c) Fertilization takes place outside the mother's body
(d) Unfertilized egg develops inside the test tube
12. Who elects the President of India?
(a) Lok Sabha
(b) Rajya Sabha
(c) People of India
(d) Parliament and State Assemblies
13. The Fundamental Duties were incorporated in the Constitution of India by the
(a) First Amendment
(b) Tenth Amendment
(c) Thirty-second Amendment
(d) Forty-second Amendment
14. The speed of light will be minimum while passing through
15. The time taken by the Sun to revolve around the center of our galaxy is
(a) 50 Million Years
(b) 100 Million Years
(c) 250 Million Years
(d) 365 Million Years
16. The oldest monarchy in the world is that of
17. The Vice-President is elected by an electoral college consisting of
(a) only elected members of both Housed of Parliament
(b) only Rajya Sabha members
(c) all members of Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies
(d) all members of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
18. In which one of the following states of India is it legal for a Hindu male and illegal for a Muslim male to have more than one living wife?
(c) Himachal Pradesh
(d) Arunachal Pradesh
19. Where did Buddha die?
20. What was the main difference between the Indus Valley Civilization and Vedic Civilization?
(a) Indus Valley Civilization was urban, while the Vedic Civilization was rural.
(b) "Pipal" tree was worshiped in Indus Valley Civilization, while "Bargad" tree was worshiped in Vedic Civilization.
(c) The main emphasis in Indus Valley Civilization was on trade while in the Vedic Age was on religion.
(d) Indus Valley Civilization believed in non-violence while Vedic Civilization had no hard and fast rules about violence.
21. All of the following are constituents of RNA molecule except
22. The father of modern biology is
23. Which of the following seeds will normalize blood sugar level?
24. The point at which solid, liquid and gaseous forms of a substance co-exist is called
(a) sublimation point
(b) distillation point
(c) triple point
(d) melting point
25. Which among the following substances is used as a lubricant?
26. The weight of an object will be minimum when it is placed at
(a) The North Pole
(b) The South Pole
(c) The Equator
(d) The center of the Earth
27. Earth quake waves travel fastest in
(b) Molten rock
(d) Flexible rock
28. The angle between the geographical meridian and magnetic meridian is called
(a) Angle of dip
(b) Angle of declination
(c) Angle of inclination
(d) None of the above
29. What is the currency of Mexico?
(c) Mexican dollars
30. The Essar group of companies has been promoted by which family?
31. One of the following liquor brands is not owned by United Breweries Limited?
(a) Kalyani Black Label
(b) Blue Riband
32. Amtrex air conditioners has a technical collaboration with
33. Marlboro Cigarette is owned by
(c) Philip Morris
(d) British American Tobacco
34. Who is the CEO of Microsoft?
(a) Bill Gates
(b) Paul Allen
(c) Larry Ellison
(d) Steve Ballmer
35. Which one of the following is not an Insurance Company?
(a) ICICI Prudential
(b) HDFC Natwest
(c) OM Kotak Mahindra
(d) Birla Sun Life
36. What is the currency of Portugal?
37. Which one of the following personalities is not associated with the Indian auto sector?
(a) Suresh Krishna
(b) Venu Srinivasan
(c) Anand Mahindra
(d) Venugopal Dhoot
38. Which one of the following companies is not in the area of air-conditioning & refrigeration?
(d) Carrier Aircon
39. How many countries are a part of the European union?
40. Who is the attorney general of United States of America?
Series of General Awareness Questions and Answers
This list is based on the content of the title and/or content of the article displayed above which makes them more relevant and more likely to be of interest to you.
We're glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that all comments are moderated according to our comment policy, and all links are nofollow. Do not use keywords in the name field. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation.comments powered by Disqus