Five Fruits That Work Magic On Your Skin - Fruits for Skin Care
Do you know fruits can make you glow in more ways than one? Natural fruits have been found useful for healthy and beautiful skin. Believe it or not, when it comes to your skin, fruit is a natural way to ensure it stays glowing and healthy.
Alpha hydroxy acids found in fruits including lemons, strawberries and grapes make a wonderful natural skin care. The enzymes in these fruits fight free-radical damage and are known to reduce age spots and fine lines and leave the skin supple. They also cleanse the skin by dissolving dead cells from the skin’s surface.
Best Fruits for Skin Care
It has long been known that fruits for skin care have been used for centuries to help your skin retain a beautiful healthy glow whilst reversing the signs of aging. Compiled of effective natural acids and high levels of anti oxidants, the following are considered the "Best Skin Care Fruits" one can apply to the face and body.
"A papaya contains the enzyme papain, making it an excellent cleanser. It also helps revive blemished and undernourished skin. It is particularly good for oily skin and also lightens skin colour," says beauty expert Shahnaz Husain.
- Use ripe papaya pulp as it is or mix with oatmeal, honey or curd and apply on your face for 10 minutes. Rinse off with cold water when dry.
- Put a mix of papaya and cucumber pulp under the eyes to minimise dark circles.
"Apart from vitamins and minerals, apples also contain pectin and tannin that help tone and tighten the skin and improve blood circulation. Apples are specially effective for those with sensitive and fair skin," says natural beauty expert Suparna Trikha.
- To take care of sunburnt skin, add a teaspoon of glycerine to apple pulp (grate the apple or put in mixie) and apply on your face for fifteen minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- For tired and undernourished skin, mix two teaspoons of grated apple, two pieces of mashed papaya, one teaspoon of fresh cream and a teaspoon of China clay. Apply the mixture to a clean face and leave for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water for healthy looking skin.
"Fresh, ripe bananas make excellent face masks. Bananas don’t only tighten and cleanse pores, they also revitalise dry skin," says Dr Shobha Sehgal, head of business, day spa and beauty zone, VLCC.
- Mash two ripe bananas with a tablespoon of honey. Smooth over the face and leave for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with cold water to reveal soft, supple and hydrated skin.
"The citrus family is best known for its astringent and toning properties. Rub fresh orange peel on your skin to tighten it and lighten the colour," says beauty expert Shahnaz Husain.
- Take the juice of two oranges and freeze it in an ice tray. Rub your face with the frozen orange juice cubes whenever you need to look good after a tiring day. The orange juice will give your tired, dull and oily face an instant pick-me-up sheen.
"Pomegranates are excellent for oily and combination skin. Rich in AHA, pomegranate juice acts as an astringent and is a natural toner too," says Suparna Trikha.
- Pound pomegranate seeds and use as a face scrub. This will remove excess oil and make your skin look fresh.
- Using cottonwool, massage around 50 ml pomegranate juice on your face for 10 minutes. Wash off for an instant glow.