Current Affairs for IAS Exams - 30 March 2014
- Nepal will hold the 18th SAARC Summit in Kathmandu on 14th November, the third time the country is hosting the event since the establishment of eight-member regional grouping in 1985.
- 74 lakh new voters added for Lok Sabha Elections in 2014. Already eligible candidates for the Lok Sabha elections were 81 crore people. Election commission is requesting new voters to cross check their names in the voters list at their respective polling booths. Final list of the elections was prepared on 9th March 2014.
- India’s economy is likely to grow 5.5% in 2014-15 as industrial output will recover to expand at 3.3%. According to the survey of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), agriculture and services sector growth in the next financial year is pegged at 3.3% and 7% respectively. It also estimates that growth in the fourth quarter of the current fiscal will pick up marginally to 5 per cent.
- In this Lok Sabha election polls all the parties are approaching social media to woo voters. Facebook, Google and Twitter are targeting for the slice of Rs.500 crores digital spending pie for this lok Sabha. 200 million people of India are accessing internet out of 814 million eligible Indian voters.
- Five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand sealed the Candidates tournament title with an effortless draw with Peter Svidler of Russia in the 14th and final round at Khanty Mansiysk in Russia on Sunday.
- ICICI Prudential has received the "Best Fund House" award. This was given by Morning star India. Company had achieved this award in the category of debt, equity and multi assets. It is first time in the history of Morning star India, that a fund house had bagged all the top awards.
- Axis Bank launches "Kisan Card" to provide crop loan through ATM. This facility is providing by the bank for the convenience of the farmers and to avoid them visiting the branch all the time.
- Novak Djokovic won his fourth career title at the Miami Masters on Sunday with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of top seed Rafael Nadal.
- Michael Schumacher