What can you do as a man to prevent rape incidents?
Men can play a very important role to prevent incidents of rapes in society. You can take this information as an advice column for men to stop this shameful act because the rape victim can also be your sister, daughter, wife or mother.
Men! Read on to know how to do your part to prevent incidents of rape in the human society.
- Children and young boys: Understand that girls and boys are both human beings, who equally deserve respect, care, love, affection and friendship. and young boys: understand that girls and boys are both human beings, who equally deserve respect, care, love, affection and friendship. >
- Speak Up. You may never see a rape in progress but you will hear jokes and language that is inappropriate and degrades women. When your best friend tells a joke about rape, tell him it is not funny. Support women who bring charges against violent men. Do anything but remain silent.
- Don’t ever have sex with anyone against their will - No matter what.
- Ask your parents what is the correct way of touching in your culture when you greet another person. It could be a handshake, a hug or a pat on the back. Some expect you to join hands, bow your head and say Namaste without touching the person you are talking to.
- Do not engage in eve teasing or sexual harassment. Eve teasing is the term used in India when you make a remark about a girl’s body, dress or the way she walks or about her posture. You may also make cat calls. You usually do it in public places. Some of you may also do it in schools. Instead, ask your parents to teach you how to pay compliments properly.
- Keep your hands to yourself during play, religious functions and parties. During play or during parties and functions, DO NOT TOUCH someone’s sexual parts. If you see a friend or a relative touching another child’s private parts, scream, yell, call for help, run to your parents and tell them what you saw.
- More about the human body. Ask your parents and teachers to teach you about male and female body parts, human development, the reproduction system and puberty.
- Ask your parents and teachers to teach you good manners and civic behavior.
- Do not loiter in lonely, deserted roads during your spare time. Do socially useful and productive work instead. Use your spare time to read, complete homework, build a robot, play games, make paper planes or help your parents in household work. You could also do some or all of these things:learn to cook, or watch TV, wash dishes, wash the car or the bike, polish shoes,listen to music, learn to play a musical instrument,paint a picture, sing, go swimming, dance, do push-ups, build a house of cards or a mud house in the yard. not loiter in lonely, deserted roads during your spare time. do socially useful and productive work instead. use your spare time to read, complete homework, build a robot, play games, make paper planes or help your parents in household work. you could also do some or all of these things:learn to cook, or watch tv, wash dishes, wash the car or the bike, polish shoes,listen to music, learn to play a musical instrument,paint a picture, sing, go swimming, dance, do push-ups, build a house of cards or a mud house in the yard. >
- Men: Remember that all human beings have equal rights to live safely and independently with dignity remember that all human beings have equal rights to live safely and independently with dignity >
- Tell yourself everyday that you are neither inferior nor superior compared to a woman. Remember that everyone on this earth has something valuable to contribute to the society.
- Campaign against female feticide. Many parents kill their female infants because you made the society unsafe for girls.
- Learn to do household chores. Most Indian men, even those who are highly educated and employed are physically and emotionally dependent on women-mother, wife, sisters, sisters-in-law, aunties or grandmothers for food, water, socks, laundry, ironing and cleaning. Practice doing these things on your own. It will make you feel very independent.
- Keep yourself strong and fit. Exercise regularly and eat well and drink sufficient water.
- Watch out! do not ogle at women. Women are no longer mere housewives. They are OUT, going to schools and colleges, working, working out and learning to be independent. Get used to seeing them walking in the streets, jogging or traveling. Applaud their courage and celebrate. Don’t discriminate.
- Stop abuse. If you see another man or men eve teasing or sexually harassing a girl, FIGHT ALONG WITH HER and report them to the nearest police station
- Keep your hands to yourself while traveling. if a girl or a woman sits next to you on a bus, or a plane or a train, do not touch her. do not peep when she is asleep.
- Keep your hands to yourself when you see a girl walking on the beach or the street. DO NOT eve tease or TOUCH HER. She keeps her hands to herself and so should you.
- Keep your hands to yourself during travel. If you are going on a long journey, read a book, or listen to music on your headphones or introduce yourself to her and talk to her only if she is also willing to talk. if she prefers to be silent, you too remain silent. close your eyes and go to sleep or meditate or count sheep.
- Do not commit violent molestations and sink into a hell-hole. You will feel horrible about yourself afterwards. Organize a patrol instead. If you are part of a group of men who have no work and lots of spare time, organize a patrol and monitor lonely streets. While you are at it, clear the streets of plastic bags and other garbage.
- Demand that the local municipality office install street lights everywhere.
- Do not demand dowry. Parents kill their daughters in the womb because they are unable to earn enough to pay your dowry. When you stop demanding dowry, parents will stop killing their girls. Then the male-female ratio will even out. More number of males is one reason for gang rape.
- Take self-defense classes and prepare yourself to defend your mother/sister/girlfriend/partner/wife against danger when you are traveling/commuting/walking together.
- Offer free basic education for adults.There are many youth and men who are uneducated. This is another reason for gang rape. Lack of education means idle brains and morality goes down the drains.
- Do a dharna or stage a non violent protest against unemployment. Round up all your unemployed mates and demand that your states create jobs. Too many unemployed men - another reason for gang rape.
- Do not beat and abuse your wife. If you feel like hitting someone, punch a pillow or find someone your size to wrestle with. Join a wrestling club, do shadow boxing or push-ups or train to run a marathon or try a triathlon.