The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960
Do you know, we have a law called "The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960". It is federal law of India enacted to prevent the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering on animals and to amend the laws relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals. As per the provisions of the law, the government of India formed the Animal Welfare Board of India. The act mentions the following:
The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 - Sect 11(1)
- Beating, Kicking, Over-riding, Over-driving, Over-loading, Torturing, Causing unnecessary pain or suffering to any animals.
- Employing any animal which, by reason of its age or any disease, unfit to be so employed, and still making it work or labour or for any purpose.
- Willfully and unreasonably administering any injurious drug or injurious substance.
- Conveying or carrying, either in or upon any vehicle in such a manner as to subject it to unnecessary pain or suffering.
- Keeping for confining any animal in any cage or any receptacle which does not measure sufficiently in height, length and breadth to permit the animal a reasonable opportunity for movement.
- Keeping for an unreasonable time any animal chained or tethered upon an unreasonably heavy chain or chord.
- Being the owner, neglects to exercise or cause to be exercised reasonably any dog habitually chained up or kept in close confinement.
- Being the owner of any animal fails to provide such animal with sufficient food, drink or shelter.
- Without reasonable cause, abandons any animal in circumstances which render it likely that it will suffer pain by reason of starvation or thirst.
- Wilfully permiting any animals, of which he is the owner to go at large in any street while the animal is affected with contagious or infectious disease, or without reasonable excuse permits any diseased or disabled animal, of which he is the owner, to die in any street.
- Offers for sale or without reasonable cause, has in his possession any animal which is suffering pain by reason of mutilation, starvation, thirst, overcrowding or other ill-treatment.
- Mutilates any animal or kills any animal (including stray dogs) by using the method of strychnine injections in the heart or in any other unnecessarily cruel manner.
- Solely with a view to providing entertainment:
- confines or causes to be confined any animals (including tying of an animal as bait in a tiger or other sanctuary) so as to make it an oject of prey for any other animal.
- incites any animal to fight or bait any other animal.
- Organises, keeps, uses or acts in the management of, any place for animal fighting or for the purpose of baiting any animal or permits or offers any place to be so used or receives money for the admission of any other person to any place kept or used for any such purposes.
- Promotes or takes part in any shooting match or competition wherein animals are released from captivity for the purpose of such shooting.
You can read the complete act at this link.
Please share this information with others to make them aware of this law to prevent cruelty against animals. We have a strong law but not many people are aware about it. This is why it is not being implemented in a strict manner as it should be. So, please spread the message so that nobody will dare to do it again with animals.
Article ID: 1143
Created: Tue, Jul 30, 2013
Last Updated: Tue, Jul 30, 2013
Online URL: https://www.knowledgepublisher.com/article/1143/the-prevention-of-cruelty-to-animals-act-1960.html