Facts about Blood Donation
Here are some blood donation facts for those who have any questions about blood donation. Blood Donor should be between 18-55 years of age with a weight of 50 kg or above with pulse rate, body temperature and blood pressure should be normal. Both men and women can donate blood. Our body has 5.5 ltr of blood of which only 350 ml - 450 ml of blood is taken depending upon weight of donor. Majority of healthy adults can tolerate withdrawal of one unit of blood. The withdrawn blood volume is restored within 24 hours and the hemoglobin and cell components are restored in 2 months. Therefore it is safe to donate blood every three months.
Blood Donation Facts
- Person above 18 years of age and over 50 Kgs. in weight can donate blood once in three months.
- A normal adult has five to six liters of blood in his/her body of which only 300 ml is used during blood donation.
- This blood is replaced by your body within 24 to 48 hours!
- No special diet, rest or medicine is required after blood donation.
- The donor should not have taken any medicine in the last 48 hours.
- The donor should not have contacted jaundice in the previous three years.
- Every donor is given a medical checkup prior to donation to see if he/she is medically fit and doesn't suffer from anemia, high blood pressure etc.
- The donor cannot contract AIDS or any other disease by donating blood.