Sports Current Affairs 2010 - Current Affairs Related to Sports in 2010
This article contains the collection of sports related current affairs in 2010. The sports current affairs are categories for each month of 2010 to help you know what were the main sport events for Janaury 2010, February 2010 and so on. This article will help you refresh your memory on sports related current affairs of India and the world targetted at getting you ready for the UPSC exam. This list of current affairs would be updated on regular basis. If you would like to get notified when more current affairs of 2010 are added to this article then you can become a subscriber of this article. It is the best way to be notified when this article is updated with more sports current affairs.
Sports Current Affairs 2010If you think this is an excellent blog about Indian Current Affairs as a subject of study for civil services and bank exams, then please share the ideas in your comments. These questions can also help you to conduct a Sports Current Affairs 2010 Quiz.
July 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- Saina Nehwal: A Smash Hit! The Indian Open Grand Prix Gold, the Singapore Open Super Series and then the Indonesian Open Super Series at Jakarta have given enough reasons to Saina to celebrate. The World No. 3 defeated a fighting Sayaka Sato of Japan 21-19, 13-21, 21-11 in the badminton finals. Just two notches away from the badminton World No. 1, Saina is now indisputably India’s top female athlete. nehwal: a smash hit! the indian open grand prix gold, the singapore open super series and then the indonesian open super series at jakarta have given enough reasons to saina to celebrate. the world no. 3 defeated a fighting sayaka sato of japan 21-19, 13-21, 21-11 in the badminton finals. just two notches away from the badminton world no. 1, saina is now indisputably india’s top female athlete. >
- Khel Awards: Saina Nehwal to be conferred the country’s top sporting honour, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. While Jhulan Goswami skipper of women’s cricket team, boxer Dinesh Kumar and Sandeep Singh are tipped to receive the Arjuna Awards in recognition of their outstanding achievements during the last one year, Footballer Sunil Chhetri and Deepak Mondal have also been nominated for the award that will be given away in Rashtrapati Bhawan on 29th Aug by President Pratibha Patil. awards: saina nehwal to be conferred the country’s top sporting honour, the rajiv gandhi khel ratna award. while jhulan goswami skipper of women’s cricket team, boxer dinesh kumar and sandeep singh are tipped to receive the arjuna awards in recognition of their outstanding achievements during the last one year, footballer sunil chhetri and deepak mondal have also been nominated for the award that will be given away in rashtrapati bhawan on 29th aug by president pratibha patil. >
- Spain Won FIFA World Cup 2010: In a historic football victory Spain lifted their first-ever World Cup after defeating Netherlands 1-0 in Johannesburg. Andres Iniesta secured the only goal of an enthralling final against the Netherlands four minutes from the end of extra-time on Sunday leading his team to victory. won fifa world cup 2010: in a historic football victory spain lifted their first-ever world cup after defeating netherlands 1-0 in johannesburg. andres iniesta secured the only goal of an enthralling final against the netherlands four minutes from the end of extra-time on sunday leading his team to victory. >
June 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- French Open 2010:
- Men’s Singles - Rafael Nadal defeated Robin Soderling. He is the second person after Bjorn Borg to win 5th French Open titles.
- Women’s Singles - Francesca Schiavone (Italy) defeated Samantha Stosur (Australia). She became first Italian women to won the French open.
- Men’s Doubles - Daniel Nestor & Nenad Zimonjic defeated Lukas Dlouhy & Leander Paes.
- Women’s Doubles - Serena Williams & Venus Williams defeated Kveta Peschke & Katarina Srebotnik.
- Mixed Doubles - Katarina Srebotnik & Nenad Zimonjic defeated Yavoslava Shvedova & Julian Knowle.
- Saina Nehwal defeated Choo Wong Mew to win women’s single title in Yonex-Sunrise Indian Open badminton championship. In the Men’s singles Yunus Alamsyah won the title.
- Saina Nehwal defeated Japan’s Sayaka Sato to win women’s singles title in Indonesian Open Super Series 2010.
- Indian Ronjan Sodhi won the double trap gold medal at ISSF World Cup in Lonato, Italy.
- India defeated Sri Lanka to win Asia Cup (Cricket) 2010. India won the title after 15 years i.e. it won the cup in 1995.
- Saina Nehwal won the Women’s singles title in Singapore Super Series badminton championship 2010 defeating China’s Tzu Ying Tai. It was her 2nd consecutive title.
- 3000th ODI (One Day International) Cricket match was played between England & Australia.
May 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- England won 2010 ICC World Twenty-20 Cricket tournament defeating Australia. The tournament was held at West Indies. Kevin Pieterson of England has been declared as Player of the Tournament.
- Australia won 2010 Women’s World Twenty-20 Cricket tournament defeating New Zealand.
- India and South Korea were declared joint winner of 2010 Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Cup, after suspension of the final match due to heavy rains. India’s Sardar Singh has been declared as Best Player of the Tournament. Australia won the Bronze medal. The tournament was held at Ipoh (Malaysia). India had won the tournament earlier in 1985, 1991, 1995 & 2009.
- China won Thomas Cup (Men’s Badminton) defeating Indonesia.
- In the World Youth Boxing Championship, held at Baku, Azerbaijan, India won 1 Gold & 1 Silver. Gold medal was won by Vikas Krishan and Silver medal was won by Shiva Thapa.
- India won bronze medal in the 2nd Asian Paragliding Championship held at Nishiewa, Japan.
- World Chess Champion Viswanathan Anand retained his title after defeating Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria in the World Chess Championship 2010.
April 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- IPL3 season won by Chennai Super Kings defeating Mumbai Indians.
- Youth Olympics Games 2010 to be held in Singapore in Aug 2010.
- World Youth Championship was held at Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Lawn tennis legend Martina Navratilova diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
- "Jumbo" chosen as 2011 World Cricket Cup Mascot.
- World Kabbadi Cup 2010 - India defeated Pakistan to won World Cup Kabbadi 2010 held at Ludhiana.
- Pankaj Advani won the Asian Billiards Championship defeating Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist for the consecutive third time.
- Badminton Asia Championship, Delhi:
- Men’s Singles - Lin Dan defeated Wang Zhenguing
- Women’s Singles - Li Xiurei defeated Liu Xin.
March 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- Tamil Nadu defeated West Bengal to win Vijay Harare Cricket Trophy.
- Australia won World Hockey Cup 2010 defeating Germany. India ranked at 8th place.
- India won six gold medals in the Commonwealth Boxing Championship held at Delhi.
- Two new IPL teams Lochi and Pune were introduced. Kochi was auctioned for Rs 1533 crore and Pune was auctioned for Rs 1702 crore. Kochi was auctioned to Rendezvous Adventure Sports Ltd. Pune was auctioned to Sahara Adventure Sports Ltd.
February 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- Sachin Tendulkar became first player in the world to score a double century in ODI (One day International). He scored 200 (Not out) against South Africa.
- 11th South Asian Games 2010:
- Held at Dhaka, Bangladesh from 29 Jan to 8 Feb.
- Originally scheduled to take place in 2009, but due to general elections in Bangladesh, the games were held in 2010.
- This was the third time that the Dhaka hosted the Games, thus becoming the first city to hold the games three times.
- 8 countries participated in the games in 23 different sports, including T20 cricket, which was introduced for the first time in South Asian Games.
- The 8 countries included are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan & Sri Lanka.
- The logo of the games was ‘Kutumb’, a flying doel, which is the national bird of Bangladesh.
- The mascot of the games featured a magpie robin, which was holding the torch to begin the games.
- The final medal tally include: final medal tally include: >
- India - 1st place with 90 Gold, 55 Silver, 29 Bronze, Total 174.
- Pakistan - 2nd place with 19 Gold, 25 Silver, 36 Bronze, Total 80.
- Bangladesh - 3rd place with 18 Gold, 23 Silver, 56 Bronze, Total 97.
- West Zone won Duleep Trophy (2009-10) defeating South Zone.
- India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar won the Asian Tour International Trophy 2010. It is his 2nd consecutive title.
- Euro 2012 to be co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine.
- 2010 Winter Olympic Games:
- 2010 Winter Olympic Games were held at Vancouver, Canada.
- Mascot of the game was MIGA (a sea bear), QUATCHI (a Sasquatch) and SUMI (animal guardian spirit).
- The logo of the games was Ilnaaq meaning Friend in Inuktut.
- There were 86 events in 7 sports.
- The games were held from 12 Feb to 28 February.
- Final medal tally: medal tally: >
- Canada - 14 Gold, 7 Silver, 5 Bronze.
- Germany - 10 Gold 13 Silver 7 Bronze.
- USA - 9 Gold 15 Silver 13 Bronze.
- IOC (International Olympic Committee) has approved ICC (International Cricket Council) bid to join the Olympic games 2020. The first time cricket was included in the Olympic games was in Paris Olympic 1900.
- 11th World Hockey Cup 2010 to be held in Delhi, India. This is 2nd WHC (World Hockey Cup) which India is hosting. India also hosted the WHC in 1982 at Mumbai. 12 countries participated in the tournament. WHC is held in the years between two summer Olympics. First WHC was held at Barcelona in 1971. Pakistan has won the cup four times, Netherland three times, Germany two times, India & Australia once each. India won the WHC in 1975.
- Commonwealth Shooting Championship was held in New Delhi in Feb 2010. India stood at first place with 35 Gold 25 Silver and 14 Bronze. England stood at 2nd place with 4 gold and Wales stood at 3rd place.
January 2010 Sports Current Affairs
- U-19 World Cup 2010 held in New Zealand from 15 to 30 Jan 2010. Javagal Srinath from India appointed as one of the match referee for the tournament.
- Australia won the U-19 World Cup for the third time defeating Pakistan. India is placed at 6th rank. Australia won the cup for the third time.
- Rafael Nadal won the Capitala World Tennis Championship, held at Abu Dhabi defeating Robin Soderling.
- Magnus Carlsen becomes the youngest World No.1 chess player at the age of 19 years breaking the Garry Kasparov’s record when he became the world’s top ranked chess player at the age of 22 years in 1985. Magnus Carlsen is the 5th player after Kasparov, Kramnik, Topalov and Vishwanathan Anand (India) to cross the 2800 ELO rating. In the Jan 2010 FIDE ranking, Carlsen stood at 1st place, Topalov at 2nd place and V Anand at 3rd place.
- Marin Cilic defeated Staniglas Wawrinka to win Men’s singles title of Aircel Chennai Open.
- Pakistan’s cricketer Shahid Afridi was banned for two T20 internationals after he was found guilty of ball tempering in a ODI against Australia.
- Corus Chess Grandmaster Tournament won by Magnus Carlsen. Vishwanathan Anand of India ranked at 4th place.
- Hopman Cup 2010 - Spain defeated Great Britain.
- Australian Open 2010:
- Women’s Single - Serena William defeated Justin Henin. It is Serena’s 5th Australian Open title. It is also Serena’s 12th Grand Slam title equaling the record of Billie Jean King.
- Men’s Single - Roger Federer (Swiss) defeated Andy Murray(Britain). It is Federer’s 4th Australian Open title. It is Federer’s 16th Grand Slam title.
- Men’s Double - Mike Bryan & Bob Bryan defeated Daniel Nestor & Nenad Zimonjic.
- Women’s Double - Serena Williams & Venus Williams defeated Cara Black & L Huber.
- Mixed Double - Laender Paes (India) & Cara Black (Zimbabwe) defeated Ekterina Makasova & Jaroslav Levinsky. It is Paes’s 11th Grand Slam title.