Health Benefits of Watermelon - Nutritional Values of Watermelon
The watermelon is a member of the Cucurbitaceae family,are fruits like cantaloupe, pumpkin and similar plants that grow on vines on the ground. The scientific name for watermelon is Citrullis lanatus. The watermelon fruit, loosely considered a type of melon (although not in the genus Cucumis), has a smooth exterior rind (green, yellow and sometimes white) and a juicy, sweet interior flesh (usually pink, but sometimes orange, yellow, red and sometimes green if not ripe). If you have ever tasted a watermelon, it is probably no surprise toyou why this juicy, refreshing fruit has this name. Watermelon has anextremely high water content, approximately 92%, giving its flesh acrumbly and subtly crunchy texture and making it a favorite thirst-quenching fruit.
Watermelon has always been a good source of vitamins A and C, and provides potassium and fiber. But now consumers have even more reasons to enjoy a sweet fruit. Scientists indicate that watermelon contains high levels of lycopene-an antioxidant that may help the body fight cancer and prevent disease. Found only in select fruits and vegetables, lycopene is very effective at trapping cancer-promoting agents called free-oxygen radicals.
A study conducted by Harvard University found that men who ate lycopene-rich diets of tomatoes and tomato products had a much lower risk of developing certain cancers, especially prosrate cancer. Lycopene is found only in red watermelon varieties. In fact, it gives watermelon its red colour,thus, the redder the watermelon, the more lycopene it contains. We have always known that watermelon offers a number of benefits but as lycopene continues to emerge as a possible important, effective agent in disease prevention. In addition to lycopene, watermelon offers a host of other health benefits. It is fat-free, yet delivers 100 percent on the critical energy component found in functional foods.
Watermelon Calories & Nutrition Facts
There are 46 calories, 1 gram of fiber in one cup of Watermelon.
Nutritional Values of Watermelon (Serving Size: 1 Cup)
- Calories - 46
- Fat - 0 g
- Cholesterol - 0 g
- Carbohydrate - 11 g
- Protein - 1 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1 g
- Sodium - 2 mg
- Vitamin A - 865 IU
- Niacin - <1 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - <1 mg
- Thiamin - <1 mg
- Vitamin B6 - <1 mg
- Vitamin C - 12 mg
- Calcium - 11 mg
- Magnesium - 15 mg
- Potassium - 170 mg
- Carotenoids - 7,481 micrograms
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelon is not only delicious, but extremely healthy, as well. It is an excellent food for weight loss. It is very effective in promoting intestinal elimination, keeping the body free from toxic wastes. Watermelon is not only great on a hot summer day, this delectable thirst-quencher may also help quench the inflammation that contributesto conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, andarthritis. In fact, most melons are rich in potassium, a nutrient that may help control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines state that a potassium-rich diet helps keep salt from raising blood pressure and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and possibly age-related bone loss.
Sweet, juicy watermelon is actually packed with some of the mostimportant antioxidants in nature. Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A,notably through its concentration of beta-carotene. Pink watermelon isalso a source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, lycopene. Thesepowerful antioxidants travel through the body neutralizing freeradicals. Free radicals are substances in the body that can cause agreat deal of damage. They are able to oxidize cholesterol, making itstick to blood vessel walls, where it can lead to heart attack orstroke. They can add to the severity of asthma attacks by causingairways to clamp down and close. They can increase the inflammationthat occurs in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and cause mostof the joint damage that occurs in these conditions, and they candamage cells lining the colon, turning them into cancer cells.Fortunately, vitamin C and beta-carotene are very good at getting ridof these harmful molecules and can therefore prevent the damage theywould otherwise cause. As a matter of fact, high intakes of vitamin Cand beta-carotene have been shown in a number of scientific studies toreduce the risk of heart disease, reduce the airway spasm that occursin asthma, reduce the risk of colon cancer, and alleviate some of thesymptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. A cup ofwatermelon provides 24.3% of the daily value for vitamin C, and,through its beta-carotene, 11.1% of the DV for vitamin A.
Its juice is easily digestible and are completely absorbed for all its minerals, providing much needed nutrients to the body. The alkalinizing effect maintains the acid-alkaline balance in the body, neutralizing the toxic condition of the body resulting from excessive intake of acid-forming foods. Drawing from the rich anti-oxidant and beta-carotene, the health effects of watermelon juice are immense.
- Asthma: The powerful anti-oxidant in watermelon reduces toxic matters in the body, that in turn reduces asthma attacks. the powerful anti-oxidant in watermelon reduces toxic matters in the body, that in turn reduces asthma attacks. >
- Arthritis: The rich beta-carotene and vitamin C content in this big fruit do wonders in quenching inflammation that contributes to conditions like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. the rich beta-carotene and vitamin c content in this big fruit do wonders in quenching inflammation that contributes to conditions like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. >
- Bladder problems: Its cleansing and natural diuretic effect is totally healing for kidney and bladder problems problems: its cleansing and natural diuretic effect is totally healing for kidney and bladder problems >
- Cholesterol: Watermelon juice is healthful in preventing cholesterol from clogging arteries and can increase HDL, the good cholesterol, reducing the risks of cardiovascular diseases. watermelon juice is healthful in preventing cholesterol from clogging arteries and can increase hdl, the good cholesterol, reducing the risks of cardiovascular diseases. >
- Constipation: Drink a big glass of watermelon juice. It is very effective in aiding the elimination of wastes. Consuming plenty of this red juice will do a lot of good. drink a big glass of watermelon juice. it is very effective in aiding the elimination of wastes. consuming plenty of this red juice will do a lot of good. >
- Fluid retention: Its diuretic action helps to eliminate excess fluids from the body, reducing water retention, especially for women during their monthly menstruation cycle and in pregnant women. retention: its diuretic action helps to eliminate excess fluids from the body, reducing water retention, especially for women during their monthly menstruation cycle and in pregnant women. >
- Heart attack: The combination of folic acid and the other essential vitamins in this fruit plays an important role in reducing the risks of heart attacks, strokes and colon cancer. attack: the combination of folic acid and the other essential vitamins in this fruit plays an important role in reducing the risks of heart attacks, strokes and colon cancer. >
- Itchiness: As watermelon juice cleanses the body of toxic wastes, it also greatly reduces itchiness that result from toxicity of acidosis. as watermelon juice cleanses the body of toxic wastes, it also greatly reduces itchiness that result from toxicity of acidosis. >
- Prostate Cancer: Lycopene (from red watermelons) has been extensively researched for its anti-oxidant and cancer-preventing properties. It is reported to be especially protective against prostate cancer. cancer: lycopene (from red watermelons) has been extensively researched for its anti-oxidant and cancer-preventing properties. it is reported to be especially protective against prostate cancer. >
- Skin Blemish: Use watermelon externally by applying a small piece liberally on your face. Leave for ten minutes, then wash off with warm water, followed by a splash of cold water. blemish: use watermelon externally by applying a small piece liberally on your face. leave for ten minutes, then wash off with warm water, followed by a splash of cold water. >
- In Vietnamese culture, watermelon seeds are consumed during the Vietnamese New Year's holiday.
- The Oklahoma State Senate passed a bill on 17 April 2007 declaring watermelon as the official state vegetable, with some controversy surrounding whether a watermelon is a fruit.
- The town of Chinchilla in Queensland, Australia holds a biannual festival celebrating all things melon.
- A watermelon contains about 6% sugar and 92% water by weight. As with many other fruits, it is a source of vitamin C.
- Watermelons contain a significant amount of citrulline amino acid.
- Watermelon is also mildly diuretic.
- Watermelons contain large amounts of beta carotene.
- Watermelon with red flesh is a significant source of lycopene.
This list is based on the content of the title and/or content of the article displayed above which makes them more relevant and more likely to be of interest to you.
We're glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that all comments are moderated according to our comment policy, and all links are nofollow. Do not use keywords in the name field. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation.comments powered by Disqus