India History Quiz (Part 1) - General Knowledge of Indian History
1. Who was the first Mughal Emperor of India?
2. Who was the last Mughal Emperor of India?
Answer: Bahadur Shah Zafar
3. Who said, "Give me blood and I will give you freedom"?
Answer: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose
4. What is the minimum age required for becoming the Prime Minister of India?
Answer: 25 years
5. To which State of India do the people speaking Khasi and Garo dialects belong?
6. Who was the founder-editor of the Marathi daily newspaper, "kesari", during the Indian freedom struggle?
Answer: Bal Gangadhar Tilak
7. Who said, "Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it"?
Answer: Bal Gangadhar Tilak
8. Who discovered the sea route to India and when?
Answer: Vasco-da-Gama; 1498 A.D.
9. What was the capital of Mysore during the rule of Tipu Sultan?
10. In which years was the battle of Talikota fought?
Answer: 1565 A.D.
11. Who was the first Governor-General of Bengal under the rule of the East India Company?
Answer: Warren Hastings
12. Who was the last Governor-General of India?
Answer: C. Rajagopalachari
13. When was the Panchayati Raj system introduced in India?
14. Where was the first session of the Indian National Congress held?
15. During whose reign did Sir Thomas Roe visit India?
16. During whose reign did the Moorish traveller "Ibn Batuta" visit india?
17. Who presides over the joint session of Parliament in India?
Answer: Speaker of the Lok Sabha
18. Which Governor-General introduced the English system of education in India?
Answer: Lord William Bentick
19. The famous peacock throne originally belonged to which king of India and who later occupied it?
Answer: Shah Jahan; Nadir Shah occupied it
20. When did Sikkim become a full-fledged State of the Indian Union?
Answer: 26 April 1975
21. During 321 B.C to 298 B.C., a competent king ruled India. What was his name?
Answer: Chandragupta Maurya
22. When was the first battle of Panipat fought?
Answer: 1526 A.D.
23. When was the Indian constitution adopted and when did it come into force?
Answer: Adopted: 26 November 1949; in force: 26 January 1950
24. What form of Government does India have?
Answer: Sovereign, Democratic
25. When and where was the Indian national anthem, ’Jana-Gana-Mana’, first sung?
Answer: Kolkata (then Calcutta), December 1911
26. When was the city of Calcutta (now Kolkata) founded?
Answer: 1690 A.D
27. What was the capital of King Vikramaditya’s kingdom?
28. Pulakeshin II was the famous king of which dynasty?
Answer: The Chalukya Dynasty
29. Who built the city of Fatehpur Sikri?
30. Who built the Red Fort in Delhi?
Answer: Shah Jahan
31. Who was the first viceroy of India?
Answer: Earl Charles Jhon Canning
32. Who is regarded as the architect of the Indian Constitution?
Answer: Babasaheb Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar
33. In the Battle of Panipat in 1761, who defeated whom?
Answer: The Afghans defeated the Marathas
34. Who is regarded as the ’Iron Man of India’?
Answer: Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel
35. What words are inscribed in the Devanagari script below the National Emblem of India?
Answer: Satyameva Jayathe
36. Who established the Servants of India Society?
Answer: Gopal Krishna Gokhale
37. Which leader of Tamil Nadu was arrested for burning the pages of the Indian Constitution?
Answer: M. Karunanidhi
38. Who started the Home Rule Movement?
Answer: Dr Annie Besant
39. Who was the first Muslim to be elected President of the Indian National Congress?
Answer: Badruddin Tyabji
40. What was the name of the doctrine adopted by Lord Dalhousie to annexe the Indian States?
Answer: Doctrine of Lapse